There are six upcoming and free events to learn about Chicago’s new ADU ordinance.
The first one is tonight, hosted by 47th Ward Alder Matt Martin. It's one of three, each one about a different topic. Daniel Hertz, policy director at the Chicago Department of Housing, and I will be speaking at tonight's event.
RSVP for each event to receive the webinar link.
- TODAY: Tuesday, April 6 at 6:30 PM. Topic: An introduction to the ADU ordinance
- Tuesday, May 4, at 6:30 PM. Topic: How to build a coach house (with architect Katherine Darnstadt, who is listed on our ADU Service Provider directory)
- Tuesday, May 18, at 6:30 PM. Topic: How to build a basement unit (with representatives of Neighborhood Housing Services, who will be publishing a guidebook soon)
Separately, the Urban Land Institute (ULI) Chicago chapter and AIA Chicago are co-hosting three webinars with Department of Buildings deputy commissioner Grant Ullrich and zoning administrator Patrick Murphey who will also talk about three different topics. Registration closes two days prior to each event.
- Friday, May 14, at 9 AM. Topic: Building a coach house
- Friday, May 21, at 9 AM. Topic: Conversion units
- Wednesday, May 26, at 9 AM. Topic: Permitting existing units that were built without permits
I think the last event on May 26 will be especially popular, as that is the question that I have received most via the Chicago Cityscape ADU Portal: How does one legalize an existing interior apartment (most often a basement unit)?